Outdoor learning & environmental learning
These courses are for staff who want to build confidence in developing and delivering outdoor learning into their school or youth club.
Both courses show delegates how to use the resource packs – ‘Outdoor Learning Cards’ and ‘Environmental Learning Cards’ – to develop high quality outdoor and cross-curricular learning that promotes active, healthy lifestyles and positive attitudes towards self, others and the environment.
The Cards are supported by a Handbook and CD.
Outdoor learning course
The Outdoor Learning Cards are divided into 4 areas:
- Orienteering – developing good map reading skills
- Team Building / Problem Solving – how to challenge your young people to think, communicate and cooperate
- Bouldering – use of low level climbing walls
- Journeying – local visits organised by young people
This course will:
- Familiarise you with the resource pack materials
- Explore how the activities fit into a developmental programme with young people
- Giving you ideas and confidence to deliver effective outdoor learning activity sessions
- Identify resources and local opportunities
Environmental learning course
Duration: 6 hours training to supplement the guidance from the handbook and CD that come with the activity card packs.
When/where: Scheduled training once a year (next session June 2015, Blacklands Farm, nr East Grinstead). Sessions can also be organised as a whole school training event, over several twilight sessions or inset days. Please contact us to discuss.
For first delegate (includes full resource pack to take away)
Non-SIS* Subscribing School £270. SIS* Subscribing School £212
For additional delegates
Non-SIS* Subscribing School £180. SIS* Subscribing School £122
This resource has been designed to give staff and young people an introduction to experiencing, understanding and enjoying the outdoor environment.
The Environmental Learning Cards are divided into 4 areas:
- Awareness and Experience – encourages experience using a range of senses
- Explore and understand
- Sustain and Conserve – understanding what impacts the environment and developing a sense of stewardship
- Create and share – encouraging a sense of appreciation and giving back (how to build an insect hotel!)
* School Improvement Service
To make a booking call